Reception at Brundage Point River Centre April 27, 2011
Certificates of Appreciation presented to residents.
Mayor Grace Losier and Council presented certificates to those owners of historic places who provided permission for their properties to be registered on the New Brunswick Register of Historic Places. Due to the co-operation of residents, the Heritage Committee was able to identify and research many of the historic places with the able assistance of researcher Joanna Aiton.
Reception at Brundage Point River Centre April 25, 2012
Mayor Grace Losier and Council presented certificates to those owners of historic places who provided permission for their properties to be registered on the New Brunswick Register of Historic Places for part two of the project. Due to the co-operation of residents, the Heritage Committee was able to identify and research many of the historic places with the able assistance of researcher Joanna Aiton.
Opening of Col Nase Boulevard
A special thank you to all who attended the Official Opening of Col. Nase Blvd. on November 4th with thanks to MP John Williamson and MLA Dr. Jim Parrott for joining Mayor Grace Losier and members of Grand Bay-Westfield Council on this notable occasion for our community. Our new Col. Nase Blvd. will:
Be the main arterial link between Routes 7 and 177,
provide roadside commercial development opportunities and open up over 400 acres of development land. Appropriately named after the man who originally opened up the region.
Open House at Mount Hope Farm
On June 10, 2012 The Nase family hosted an open house at Mount Hope Farm for residents and visitors.
Over 250 people enjoyed a guided tour and were entertained by the Kingston choir who sang songs from 1812, under the direction of Eric McCumber.
Refreshments were provided by the Grand Bay-Westfield Tourism committee with catering by Cathy Gallant.
Cathy used recipes from the 1812 era to prepare an authentic buffet which was well received.
Historic Sardine Carrier Arrives in Grand Bay-Westfield.
On July 7 2013. the Beatrice B. arrived in Grand Bay-Westfield having traversed the reversing rapids. The ship will be on hand to welcome Eric MacCumber on his journey on July 19 at Brundage Point River Centre.
On February 28, 2017 as part of Black History month, 5 local landmarks were renamed from insensitive names to names reflecting the rich black history of our area. 3 Grand Bay-Westfield landmarks; Negro Lake. Negro Brook and Little Negro Lake were renamed Corankapoon Lake, Black Loyalist Brook and Richards Lake respectively. Richards and Corankapoon were black refugees from the American War of Independence who were granted land in Grand Bay-Westfield in the 1780's. Their history is contained on this site under "articles" and " Early black settlers".
Dr. Ed Doherty presided over the ceremony with words of thanks were expressed to Ralph Thomas by the premier and the mayors of Saint John and Grand Bay-Westfield. Dave Taylor of the town and the town;s heritage committee were instrumental in providing research to the Black History Society to enable these changes to be made with the support of the mayor Grace Losier and council.